JOE AVERAGE R.C.A.
I am a fifty three year old, self taught artist, who has expressed myself through art since childhood. The art of B.C.’s Native Indians played a big role in inspiring my creativity. I loved the simplicity of the images, the graciousness of the lines and curves, and the emotional impact of the bright simple primary colours. I then discovered the “Pop Art” of Warhol, Lichtenstein and Peter Max. I was inspired that these fun and colourful images could be presented seriously on canvas. At twenty-seven years old I was diagnosed HIV+. Three years later I decided to dedicate the remainder of my life to art. Leaving work and refusing the assistance of Unemployment Insurance or Welfare, I challenged myself to live completely through my art. With paper, charcoal, pastels, paint and a will to survive, I continued developing my survival skills and artistic abilities. I did not want to be on a deathbed wondering if I could have succeeded as an artist, or, wake up at 40 questioning the same. This threat and my awareness of mortality inspired and changed me. Art heals. I produced shows out of my modest apartment with pieces priced according to my rent. I have promoted myself, got my work “out there”, and had many one-man shows in unusual locations:  apartments, studios and alternative galleries. In addition, I donate art and involve myself with many local and national charities that I feel strongly about. I have now been surviving on my art alone for 22 years. This decision, I believe, is in part responsible for my longevity and health. Passion for art and living have become one. There have been many lean stretches over the early years, (many care packages of food from friends), and I still live pretty hand to mouth despite the “celebrity” created around me. I remain determined to live out my self imposed challenge and survive solely off my art. The last 22 years have introduced me to many new people. I have been invited to elementary and high schools and the Emily Carr College of Art and Design, where teachers had students studying my art. On those occasions I would show my art, answer questions, view and discuss their works and, my favorite, make art with them. I constantly seek new ways to express my emotions with fewer lines and more intensity and language from the colours. Colour is a universal language, and colour combinations are pure poetry.